Monday, October 19, 2009

Seasons of change

My favorite time of the year is the fall. I love all the beautiful colors and the feel of change. I love to step outside and smell the brisk cold air. It's the smell of winter coming. It always fills me with excitement, an anticipation of something great to come.

I laugh at that statement, for I am suddenly reminded of my Dad's comment on the subject. He actually hates this time of year. He views it as a time for everything withering away and dying, only to be replaced by a bitter cold that he has to work out in. I can plainly see his point. For as much as I love the snow, I wouldn't want to work 10 or 12 hours a day wading through it.

However, I've never looked at it in that manner. I don't see death. I see change. Life is full of changes and with every turn of event we must weather a bitter cold. Just like every trial we endure, the cold winter draws us closer to our loved ones. We must huddle together to keep warm. We must depend on another to help get us through.

Fall is definitely my favorite time of the year. It's the time when I feel the the most joy. Which in itself is very ironic considering, I can link nearly every painful experience in my life to the autumn months. Three years ago we spent most of the fall in the hospital with Serenity, watching her cling to life. Seven years ago, Tommy and I, just barely escaped divorce. Twenty-four years ago, on October 14th, was by far the hardest to overcome. My oldest brother, was tragically killed in a car accident.

At the time, he was my biggest hero. He was always protecting me from the wrath of my less older brothers. :) Even though there were twelve years difference in our ages, we were very close. He always made time for me. He allowed me a tag along whenever I asked. As a matter of fact, he loved to show me off to his friends. He made me feel so very special. I found comfort and security just by being around him. So often I would awaken in the middle of the night frightened and would hurry off to his room. He never became frustrated by my intrusion. He would simply just pull back the covers and invite me to stay. So many nights I slept safely snuggled in his arms. At the age of only six, it rocked my world when I lost my brother.

Yet despite all of these attempts by Satan to steal my joy, this is STILL my favorite time of the year! I realize that we can view these occurrences two ways. I can view them the way I wrote them above or I can say, Three years ago God healed our daughter, Seven years ago God renewed and strengthened the love in my marriage, Twenty-four years ago my brother was embraced in the arms of our Lord and Savior. Today, he is resting safely snuggled within the arms of THE greatest hero.

Satan's main goal is to steal our joy in every aspect of our lives. For once that joy is gone, he has room to bring even more destruction. However, when we focus our eyes on Jesus, when we cling to the promises His blood provides, we always have VICTORY! All satan can do is try. He can't accomplish anything unless we allow him.

Autumn is the time of year set aside for God's creations to prepare themselves for the bitter winter to come. In order to prepare, a change must first take place. Although change can sometimes be scary, it can also be exciting when we realize that God is always in control. Whatever cold the winter may bring, the warm sun always returns in the spring. The flowers and trees that seem to wither in preparation, always bounce back with more life and beauty, stronger than before.

So when I step outside and inhale the scent of the oncoming winter months, I'm overwhelmed with anticipation. Excitement fills me as I step out and embrace change.
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to harvest; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance; a time to cast away and a time to gather; a time to embrace and a time to pull away; a time to get and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to give away; a time to rend, and time to sew, a time to keep silent and a time to speak; A time to love and a time to hate; a time of war and a time of peace" Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

There is a season for everything. The world is constantly changing and renewing. This is what we call life. So whatever the change may bring in preparation for the future, know that,

"He hath made everything beautiful in HIS time." Ecclesiastes 3:11a


Love in Christ,

0 comments: