Saturday, September 5, 2009

Where there is an exception to the rule... There is NO rule!

I have often heard people discuss how it's okay to commit a little wrong, if it works toward a greater good. So my question is... where do you draw the line?

Recently a nice young man approached my door. I could tell he was very nervous and wasn't use to speaking with strangers. He had a very well rehearsed speech on why I should buy one of his magazines, which in turn would earn him points toward a trip to Bermuda. The magazine purchases also help send children books to hospitals. Well... if you know me that's where he had me hooked. After spending so much time in the
PICU with Serenity, I have a certain soft spot for anything that makes the patient experience more pleasurable. So I had my mind set on helping out.. until... he mentioned the price.

As many of you know, my husband had his hours cut back quite drastically for awhile. For the past several weeks God has blessed him with an abundance of overtime. Praise the Lord! However, we were very far behind for a several months. Now it's taking every extra bit he's making just to catch up. Bottom line.. We are surviving but we still don't have extra cash.

I asked him if he might be able to come back another time. He refused. Instead he said he would be willing to accept a post dated check. I wouldn't do that. I explained that I didn't know when I would have the extra money to help out. So then he made me a
proposition. He turned the form around and revealed the fine print on the back. "It says right here that if for any reason you want to cancel your order, you have 10 days to do so. All you have to do is give me a check today. Then call and explain that you've had an expected bill and cancel. They will immediately stamp void on your check. I still get my points. The children still get their book and you get that warm fuzzy feeling inside for helping out. Everyone's happy!"

Sounded like a good deal! What makes everyone happy couldn't
possibility be wrong.. right? Wrong! God's doesn't give us exceptions to the rules. As my husband always says..."Where there is an exception to the rule.. there is no rule." No matter how much people try to make something sound good. Wrong is still Wrong and Right is always Right. There is NO gray area when it comes to sin. A lie (no matter how much we think it helps someone out) is still a lie.

In my opinion, if I were to sign my name to a check agreeing to pay a certain amount with the intention of never actually dishing out the dough. Then that is the same as a lie. Not to mention the fact that I would have to verbally lie to the operator just to convince them to cancel my order. There wasn't any unexpected bill heading my way... and I knew it!

I politely explained that I just didn't want to do that and thanked him for his time. He mumbled under his breath and left very angry. I felt badly because I knew he was very nervous and probably felt like a failure. Part of me wanted to cave, but another part of me knew the consequences of doing so.

We often prevent God's blessings in our life, by compromising the truth. God doesn't see big or small... God only sees disobedience. There have been many times when people have thought I was absolutely crazy for trying to do the right thing. I have walked back into a store to pay just a few cents for an item the checker forgot to scan. Some people might say.. "Well.. it was their fault or it was only worth a few cents... Therefore it's alright." But I tell you what... if I'm going to risk missing out on God's blessings in my life... I'm not going to do it for just a few cents. How completely insane would that be!!!

I have also refused gifts from store clerks. One guy tried to give me a free fountain drink. "That's okay... just keep it." I asked him if he was going to pay for it.. "Nah.. don't worry about it." Well.. YES I'm going to worry about it because it wasn't HIS to give. It would be different if he happened to be the owner, but he was just a clerk. I ended up paying for my drink and I'm sure being the blunt of every joke for the rest of the night. But I know with every fiber of my being that God has honored my
persistence to always try to do the right thing. Sometimes I may fail, but I always try to be obedient! God blesses the obedient!

Satan knows this. It's his main purpose to kill, steal and destroy.
(John 10:10) He wants to stop the blessings of God from flowing. So he will often set up circumstances that appear to be good. He wants to set traps for God's people. He makes people believe they are doing a good thing, when in actuality they're stepping out of God's will and into dangerous territory. Example.. a married woman/man starts out by innocently "Witnessing" to someone of the opposite sex. They ignore the fact that their spouse doesn't agree with the little talks. Soon they end up lying to their loved ones for the "greater good." Then before long they're caught up in an adulterous affair. By reasoning out what they know in their hearts is wrong, they end up destroying not only their marriage, but their mind, body and spirit as well.

So where do we draw the line? We don't!!! The bible tells us to shun the very appearance of evil.
(1 Thessalonians 5:22) For God knows that one tiny snowflake can soon turn into a giant snowball of destruction. And nothing is worth missing out on the blessings of God!


Love in Christ,

1 comments:

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

I'm taking Nursing Ethics right now and we are talking a lot about what is ok and what's not. It's really hard sometimes to determine what the right thing is to do, especially when those around you are just going with the flow. However, I'm trying to be very aware of what God would want me to do rather than what those around me are doing. It's not the easiest, but I know in the long run, I will be blessed!