Sunday, June 21, 2009

I wanna leave a Legacy

I wanna leave a legacy.

How will they remember me?

Did I choose to love?

Did I point to you enough...

To make a mark on things?

I wanna leave an offering.

A child of mercy and grace...

who blessed your name

Unapologetically

And leave that kind of legacy.

Nicole Nordeman- "Legacy"



Everyone wants to be remembered. Everyone wants to believe their life had some meaning... that they made an impression on this world (whether good or bad). Everyone wants a legacy.


This past week, my last remaining grandparent passed away. He lived a very long and fruitful life. He was 95 and had five children, 22 children, 33 great- children and 10 great - great grandchildren. He was a born- again Christian, who enjoyed sharing the gospel.

During the funeral, I began thinking about the life he lived and then my own life. At his grave site, I noticed the thousands of headstones that lined the cemetery... each one representing a life.

Who were all these people? What life did they lead? Whose life did they touch? Some lived only a few hours... some lived 100 years. Yet, all were given the same opportunity to affect someone's life. Did they affect it in a positive way or a negative way? Where they a pure example of God's love or a direct impression of satan himself? Some were laid to rest days ago... some have been buried for nearly a century. Are they still remembered? Are the memories good? And most importantly WHERE are all these people now? Are they celebrating eternal life or enduring eternal torture?

It really started to sink in. Each headstone represents a life lived. Each grave represents a soul departed. Who were all these people? What was their legacy?

I began to think about a couple of this world's "Legends." Marilyn Monroe was beautiful, yet she lived such a sad, unhappy life. Her legacy is actually referred to as one of America's greatest tragedies. I do not want to be a "tragedy" just to be remembered. I want my story to be an encouraging one.

Then of course there is one of the world's greatest legends... Elvis Presley with his sexy look and sultry voice, made the world smile. He forever changed our view of music and entertainment. He set an example for generations to come. Yes in deed, Elvis will live on as an icon until the end of this world.....

Suddenly it hits me.... that's just it.... this world WILL end.

So I then began to think about Billy Graham and the millions of people he's led to God's saving Grace. For years, he has worked to further God's kingdom. Not only has he been blessed for his faithfulness while on this earth, but he's also secured a legacy that will NEVER end. Billy Graham will be remembered even AFTER the end of this world... for His legacy is eternal.

Now as I look at my life... How will I be remembered? The number is not important to me. I don't care how MANY people remember me... Only HOW they remember me. Does Lisa Marie really care that her Dad was a legend to millions of people? I don't think she does. I just think she wishes he was alive to be a legend in her eyes.

I want to be a pure example of the love of Christ! I want to be an encouraging story of God's blessings and the Victory provided by the sacrifice of Jesus. I want to live a life that will draw people closer to Him!

When I leave this world, I want a legacy my children will be proud of. But most importantly... I want a legacy my SAVIOR will be proud of. When my eyes finally behold the Glory of God's face, I want to hear...

"Well Done my good and faithful servant!"


For that is by far the greatest legacy!

Everyone wants to be remembered. Everyone wants to believe their life had some meaning... that they made an impression on this world (whether good or bad). Everyone wants a legacy....

I wanna leave a legacy.

How will they remember me?

Did I choose to love?

Did I point to you enough...

To make a mark on things?

I wanna leave an offering.

A child of mercy and grace...

who blessed your name

Unapologetically

And leave that kind of legacy.

Nicole Nordeman- "Legacy"


What kind of legacy will YOU leave?



Love in Christ,

2 comments:

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

Fantastic post! This is something that I have been thinking about as well...how will I be remembered on this earth? Will people remember me as someone who only cared about herself or will I be remembered as someone who loved others with everything she had? I actually changed my blog direction, because I want to glorify God, not myself.

As always, you are very insightful! Blessings :-)

Kara Grace said...

I pray that I'm remembered to be caring, kind, etc.,

I always tell myself when days are horrible that if I can just turn someone's bad day and make THEM feel special or loved, my life would not be in vain.