Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cast your cares on the Lord...

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

This scripture is such an awesome promise. Just as every promise of God, it is so straight forward. God never leaves any room for doubt. There are NO maybes, mights or could be. Just plain and simple... do this and I WILL do this!
"Cast your cares on the Lord and He WILL sustain you. He WILL NEVER let the Righteous fall."

As a mother of five, I LOVE doing things for my children. I take great pride in caring for them... for a couple of reasons;
One... I love them more than life itself and it warms my heart to nurture them... and two.. I want things done RIGHT! If I do them myself first hand then I know the job is efficient.

Our little arrangement would work out fine. Except... my children are just too independent... especially Serenity.
Reni's favorite words are... "NO! I do it myself."
I can not tell you how many times we have had this conversation...

"Serenity, what are you doing? I already did it for you."

"NO! I do it MYSELF."

Big sigh " I guess you have to learn...Okay, do it yourself."

A minute later, I either go behind her and redo it or she comes crying.."Mommy, help me!"

Either way... I'm stuck doing whatever it is at least twice and we both end up frustrated.

Just like Serenity, I also like to do things myself. So many times I have become burdened down with the cares of this world. So often I have suffered grief. I have carried sorrow. I have felt broken, depressed, lost. There have been many nights when I have cried myself to sleep. So many times I have just wanted to give up. The burden seemed too heavy. I felt the weight of a load impossible for me to carry.

Looking back now, I wonder... Was Jesus looking down on me shaking His head saying..."What are you doing? I already did that for you."

For God's Word says..
"Surely He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows." Isaiah 53:4

Why must we insist on doing everything ourselves? We KNOW that we will never be able to do it as well as our Lord. Yet... we insist on trying anyway.

"I'm strong enough! I can carry this heavy load!"

Then soon after, we become overwhelmed... we begin to crumble and we must call out for help.

"Lord, Help me!"


How frustrating it must be... constantly doing everything over and over again.
Yet... Jesus is always patiently waiting to pick up the pieces and mend our broken hearts.


Once we finally make up our minds to cast our cares upon Jesus, He's always ready to wrap His arms around us and shower us with a peace that surpasses all understanding. (Philippians 4:7)

Do we not realize He already holds every tear in His hands? He counts each drop and not one tear is overlooked. He knows our suffering. He knows our sorrow. Do we not realize, He LOVES US! He HAS already provided healing for our mind, body and spirit. He has already provided an answer to every problem we have to face. He has already provided a peace to guard our minds and hearts.

We just have to call out His name!

We just have to lay our cares on the alter and say..."Lord... I give this to you."

Then let go...Completely LET GO...and walk away!

Yet for most of us, even after we make the decision to walk away, we tend to come back. Satan begins to whisper into our ears. "He doesn't want your burden. He doesn't care about you. He has more important people to care for" We know he is the father of lies. We know he is incapable of telling the truth. Yet, we listen to him anyway. So once again, we pick up our burden. This time feeding it with self pity, more worry, and more depression. Before long our burden is twice as heavy as it was before.

All we have to do...is place our complete trust in God. We have to KNOW that He loves us. We have to EXPECT His blessings, EXPECT Him to take care of our burdens. We MUST completely surrender our own will. We MUST completely trust our Savior. We MUST NOT look at the problem but rather focus on the Deliverer. God rose Peter up above his storm. Peter walked on water until his eyes began to wander. Once he started looking at the winds around him, he began to sink. No matter how strong the storm, no matter how big the burden...We MUST keep our eyes focused on Jesus! Problem SOLVED!
.

"Lord, you will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is stayed on you. Because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever. For in the Lord is everlasting strength."
Isaiah 26:3-4

God has promised to wipe away every tear... mend the broken hearted...bring peace in the storm...heal every fiber of our being. Nothing is too great for our Savior. No pain, physical nor emotional, is too severe for His hand to numb.

"Surely He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows." Isaiah 53:4

Don't leave Jesus standing there, shaking His head.... "What are you doing... I already did that for you!" Instead..

"Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I definitely needed this today. Thank you for the reminder.

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

This is exactly what I'm struggling with right now! It's a daily struggle to give God control of my life...thanks for this post!

Alicia said...

God Bless You! The Lord knew I needed those exact words today. I needed to be reminded of 1Peter 5:7