Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's the Point?

I've been asked on a few occasions, "What's the point? What's the point of telling Serenity's Story?"

I can not express the compassion God has placed in my heart. I can not put into words the magnitude of it's affect on my life. There are times when it completely overwhelms me. There are times when I lie awake in bed and just cry for those I have never even met.
Now I'm not talking about just feeling sorry for someone or pity. I'm talking about compassion, the feeling of truly wanting to make the situation better! True compassion can ONLY come from God!

When we were in the PICU and received Serenity's diagnosis of Restrictive Cardiomyopathy, my husband and I wanted to know exactly what we were up against. So we made a trip to the hospital's computer lab to do some research. We spent hours trying to find just ONE positive sentence to hold on to. We tried to find just one MEDICAL hope. It all came down to Transplant or death...and even then the outcome was not very comforting. Underneath was a list of all the possible side effects of a heart transplant then stated even IF she survived the transplant, she would need another a few years down the road, then another one a few years after that. The medical prediction of my daughter living a long fruitful life was not good!

If it had not been for our hope in Jesus, there would have been NO hope at all. From that moment I vowed that the next time a mother had to type in those dreadful words, She would find at least ONE positive story! At least ONE testimony of Hope to hold on to! Even if our daughter endured a heart transplant, her story WOULD be a positive one and God WOULD receive ALL the Glory for it!

A few months ago I received a comment from a mother in California who was stuck in the hospital awaiting her son's heart transplant. She was also doing some research on Restrictive Cardiomyopathy and came across Reni's website. She wrote, "Serenity's story gives me so much hope and has helped to strengthen my faith. Thank you so very much for posting her story and being open enough to share your journey."

That's it folks....That IS the point!

That is the reason what I feel compelled to SHOUT our story from the mountaintops. That is the reason why I want to scream..."GOD HEALED MY DAUGHTER...GOD HEALED MY DAUGHTER and HE CAN DO THE SAME FOR YOU!" It's an excitement that fills me. It fills the pit of my stomach. It burns within me like a consuming fire! I want to share the good news! I want people to know MY God is a God that saves, delivers and Heals. I want everyone to see the goodness of the LORD that I know!

The compassion God places in my heart doesn't just stop with children facing heart transplants. Oh NO! It goes far beyond that! It goes from the most difficult form of cancer or birth defects to the simplest colds or conditions. God's healing power stretches far across ALL sickness, whether mind, body or spirit!

I want EVERYONE to receive God's blessings. When faced with someone who is not willing to receive the message of hope. I can hardly contain my sorrow. I feel like my spirit has been completely broken and I just want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them. I have found myself alone at night weeping and crying out to God..."Why won't they believe.. Why won't they believe." In the stillness of my prayers, I am reminded that we ALL have a choice. We can not make everyone believe. Not everyone will receive ALL of God's blessings. Not everyone will even receive God's salvation. There will be those who will parish.

However, I am also reminded the intense sorrow that overtakes me, to the point where I can barely function and I suddenly have a revelation. This tiny bit of compassion that God gives me, is merely a drop of rain in His own Ocean of Love. Oh how He must feel to see His children parish! How frustrated He must become when they choose NOT to accept His blessings!

You see, this blog is not about me or my family. Serenity's website is not about promoting her, as cute as she may be :) No...it's about doing what I feel God is calling me to do. It's about spreading a message of Hope to a dying world (physical and spiritual). It's about quenching this fire of compassion burning within me. It's about making a difference in a Godly way.

Not everyone will receive the message of Hope! Not everyone will be open to receive the blessings Jesus has provided. But if one person's life is made better because of our story...then our journey has fulfilled it's purpose!

It's ALL about God's Glory! So that others may see the HOPE we have! So others will witness the Goodness of our LORD in their own lives!!!

It's about fulfilling our purpose in life!

As God said..."You are my servant, and You will bring me Glory!"

"Listen to me, all of you in far-off lands! The Lord called me before my birth; from within the womb He called me by name. He said to me, You are my servant, and YOU WILL BRING ME GLORY." Isaiah 49:1,3

"God who hath saved us and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" 2Tim. 1:9

Jesus said:
"You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain:" John 15:16


1 comments:

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

What an awesome mission you have! I know God is using your amazing story to grow His kingdom and spread His love.

You are wonderful servants!