Thursday, February 19, 2009

Toddler Talk Thursday - Faith as a child

"Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein." Mark 10:15

Toddler Talk isn't always comical. Sometimes it's enlightening.


The faith of a child never ceases to amaze me. The other day Elijah was playing rough, like boys tend to do, and accidentally scratched his tiny hand. He came to me with the beginning of tears in his little eyes.


Eli: "Mommy, I hurt (pointing to the outer side of his hand) right there.


Mommy: "Oh Eli, you want Mommy to kiss it"


Eli: with a pouty quivering lip "Yeah Mommy... kiss it."


I bent down and placed a big kiss right on his ouchie.


Mommy: "There... does that feel better?"


Eli: not quite convinced "Yeah... a little better."


Then suddenly he perks up! With a great big smile and hope filled eyes he blurts out his announcement.


Eli: "I know! Jesus will make it all better. He make Neni all better and he make me all better too!"


Mommy: "Yes He will! Good boy Elijah! You ask Jesus to make you all better!"


He runs excitingly away to play. A few minutes later he returns still smiling from ear to ear.


Eli: "Mommy Jesus did make me all better! It don't hurt more. See Mommy I toad you Jesus make me better too."


I give him a little smile of approval.


Mommy: "Yes Eli... you sure did!"


I think that every adult could use a lesson from a child when it comes to the concept of faith. Eli never said, well if God feels up to it today.... if it be His will...or if He feels the need to.... He simply said, "Jesus will make it all better." That was it! Plain and simple! Then he skipped off, confident it would happen....and....it did! :)

1 comments:

Margaret said...

that is too cute...no, more than that..it is too TRUE! I think an-almost saint said "To live in God's love we must become a child." or something along those lines. Meaning we must put all our faith in God and KNOW that He always knows what He is dong; that He will love us and care for us always and forever...I kinda think of Him as a over protective father over His 'rebellious teens.' lol :) It seems like it is a stupid and uneeded path, but in the end it is for our good.
Eli, your faith amazes me. All too often people find themselves thinking that in every way they are much better, stronger, and smarter than small children. Well, Eli's story is just ONE of the many examples.
Peace,