Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Serenity's Story Part 4

Our First miracle....
I sat there for hours at a time just reading, praying and crying. We would take the authority that Christ has given us to bind the sickness and disease, commanding her body to line up with the Word of God. Man said my baby was sick... God said my baby WAS healed. We were going to believe God's words.

The nurses would walk by and stare. I could hear them whisper, but I didn't allow this to affect me. I continued to read my scriptures and pray. I knew that God would be faithful to HIS promises.

After awhile of hearing only the constant beeping and seeing only her chest move up and down with every breath the machine breathed for her, I began to fall apart. I would poke her and tickle her, doing everything I could just to get some kind of reaction out of her, but nothing. She laid there, not even a twitch. I picked her arm up and gently let go. It fell limp and lifeless to her side. I began to cry. I cried out to God. "Lord please give me a sign that somewhere inside this body my daughter still thrives. I need to know she is still in there."

With a gentle touch, I took my hand and caressed the bottom of her foot, what had just laid motionless and lifeless before, suddenly jerked back. I thought my heart might leap right out of my chest. I began to play with her. I would tickle her foot and she would move it. We did this over and over for several minutes.

This was one of the first of many miracles to come. Still to this day, Serenity is extremely ticklish on the bottom of her feet. I know that God gave me this little boost to strengthen my faith. I had to have something to hold onto. He always meets us at our level of faith.


Her First Diagnosis....
A couple of days after arrival, Serenity was scheduled for a Heart Catherization. The cardiologist that performed it was very cautious and because of her size was unable to make it into the left ventricle (or atrium, I forget) But based on the results, they diagnosed her with Shone's Complex, and he recommended that she needed the Mitral valve either repaired or bypassed.

In order to do this we had to once again travel to a more equipped hospital with more experienced surgeons. The night before we were to leave, we were awaken by the sounds of the alarms on Serenity's equipment.

Somehow the respiratory therapist accidently pulled out her tube while suctioning it. Reni's pulse ox level and heart rate rapidly began to drop. The nurse informed us that in order to get the anesthesiologist there quickly to intubate her again, they were going have to call a code blue on her room. For those of you who do not know, that's the code they use when someone stops breathing or their heart stops beating. It's never a good thing to hear over the loud speakers especially when the room number they are calling... belongs to your daughter.

When those lights starting flashing and people everywhere started running toward our room, I thought MY heart was going to stop beating. It’s something that no parent should ever have to experience.

Once the doctor arrived and replaced her tube, Reni began to stabilize again. But regardless, we will always remember the terror that one moment brought

courtesy of
http://www.throughthevalleyofserenity.com/

0 comments: