Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Laughter Lives Tuesday

Laughter LivesThis post is part of "Laughter Lives! Tuesday" on the Riggs Family Blog. Check our their blog to read everyone else's "Laughter Lives!" posts.


Usually my Laughter Lives Tuesday posts are filled with the hilarious stunts of my children, but this week the jokes are on Mom and Dad

I'll start it off with one of my most embarrassing moments.

When I was in high school my parents owned a Christian oriented Restaurant. We had Live praise and worship music on Friday and Saturday nights, which always served to bring in a very respectable crowd.

On weekends, I worked in the kitchen during the day and a hostess at night. Needless to say, every weekend I had to bring a change of clothing with me to work. One morning I had to drive through a nasty ice and sleet storm. The extra slow and cautious traffic caused me to be quite tardy. As soon as I arrived, I pulled into the first avaliable parking spot, which just happened to be right up front. Then I grabbed my change of clothes and darted inside. The sleet and ice continued to fall all day long.

After my first shift, I went back into the storage area to retrieve my clothing. Upon examining my belongings, I noticed I was missing my extra pair of undergarments. At the time, I just thought that I must have been mistaken, and probably had forgotten to pack them. I finished getting dressed and went right back to work.

Just before closing time, a local pastor (who knew me and my car very well) parked in front right next to my car. He was always very friendly and usually enjoyed talking with me. However, this particular night he seemed very withdrawn. Throughout our entire conversation he could hardly look me in the eye. We talked only briefly for a few minutes. Then I gathered my things to leave.

When I reached my car, suddenly all the uncomfortable moments made perfect sense. For to my mortified surprise, I saw my black, frilly lacey panties frozen solid to my bright white sports car. Yes folks, in the mad dash to make it inside, my underwear had become caught in the door. The wind and ice had frozen it just perfectly to reveal every skimpy detail. I literally had to scrap them off my car.

Every customer that night had to walk past my car at least twice. Once going in and once coming out. Each time with a perfect view of my unmentionables.

I can just hear them now.."Mom why is there underwear stuck to the side of that car?"
"I don't know honey, but don't look. (covers childs eyes with hand) We don't socialize with THOSE kind of people!" :)

My Husband in ALL his glory:

Anyone who knows my husband.. knows he's quite a character. He will do just about anything for a laugh. Here is just one example of his silly behavior.

It was a couple of nights before Serenity's open-heart surgery. So we had a lot on our mind. We were very concerned, but desparately trying to hold it together. Anyway, we pulled up to the drive thru and decided that we wanted to order a couple of hamburgers and an order of cheese curds. ( you know the little fried pieces of cheese) Well... Tommy was determined to lighten up the night and make me smile.

As soon as he heard the squeaky teenagers voice say, "Welcome to Culver's can I take your order?" My wonderful husband switched to his thickest Redneck accent and began ordering.

"Uh ya, I'll take a couple of em' hamb burglars, um... throw some cheese on there, but nun of those there onions, they give me gas sumin' awful. Woo Wee! I might have to sleep with you tonight, cause my wife over ere' would kick me outta bed....ya know what I'm sayin'? So no onions, Oh and a don't put any of that green rabbit food or any of those squishy maters on there neither..... man those things ooze right out of my buns and all over my britches every time! Makes a horrible mess! And a I'll take a sweet tea, give my little lady a coke. Oh ya and yer beggest order of those there Cheese Turds. (yes with a T)"

"Excuse me sir.. (trying not to laugh) what was that last one?

"You know them there Cheese Turds... Yer beggest order!"

As the little voice tried to repeat our order, we could hear about a dozen people over the loud speaker giggling in the background. Then when we approached the window, we saw teenagers EVERYWHERE laughing hysterically. The ones who noticed us driving up, began poking the other ones in the ribs, trying to quiet them.

When the window finally slid open, the guy at the register was turning purple trying to hold the laughter in. His eyes began to water as he managed to squeeze out, "That'll be $12.65 sir."

Tommy now speaking in his normal voice said, "Man, you look like you're about to explode. It's alright! You can laugh. I don't really sound like that."

At that moment the laughter throughout the entire restuarant just exploded. Before we drove away, several of them thanked us for bringing a little excitement into their dull night.

Mission "Make Wife Smile" Accomplished! :)

1 comments:

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

Oh my goodness, you have no idea how much I needed a good laugh today! The drive thru story just about put me over the edge...I laughed so hard!