Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lord, I want to be just like you, for they want to be like me.

Reni recently found my contact case. Fortunately, I was wearing them at the time. Since no harm could come from it, I silently stood back and watched her for a moment. She carefully unscrewed the lid and placed it on the counter. Then she dipped her tiny finger into the leftover solution, opened her eye as wide as it would open, and leaned into the mirror. With a slow and steady hand, she gently poked her finger into her eye. Then blinked several times. I was amazed at just how very precise her imitation of me was. I couldn't help but giggle. The more I thought about this, the more I was reminded of the song we played at Noah's dedication ceremony,nearly 10 years ago. The words made famous by Phillips Craig and Dean say,

"Lord I want to be just like you, for He wants to be just like me. I want to be a Holy example, for his innocent eyes to see. Help me be a Living Bible Lord, my little boy can read. I want to be just like you, cause he wants to be like me."

So often we forget just how much they are watching us. They hear words we don't even realize we say. They see things that we don't remember doing. They are little sponges soaking up every word, deed or action. Their entire focus is centered on becoming just like the people around them. Serenity had no idea just why she was poking herself in the eye. She just did it because Mommy does it. Therefore it must be the right thing to do. Even when it's something that hurts them, they do it anyway because it's all they know. My prayer includes words of that song. I want to be the very best Mommy I can be. In order to do that, I must always be led by the Word of God. I want to be a Living Bible that not only my children can read, but every person I come into contact with as well. I want to always bring every thought and word into captivity to the obedience of God. For innocent people are constantly watching and listening, waiting for direction. When I leave this world, I want to be remembered as a person whose example affected the well being of others. I want to make a difference for the better. I want my life to have meaning. When my children look at me I pray they don't just see Mom, but rather reflections of Jesus. I pray that looking into my eyes only reveals the light of Christ burning within my soul. I want my actions to speak LOUDER than my words. When they lay me down to rest, I want people to say, "This was a woman that truly loved the Lord." But even more than that, I want them to say the same for each and every one of my children!

0 comments: